Monday, December 7, 2009

FREE PATTERN: Twin Rib Scarf

What's on your needles in December? I'm currently knitting hats and socks and am about ready to cast on another scarf.

The humble scarf gets a lot of bad press. Even though a scarf is often the first project that we accomplish as a knitter, we often get the feeling that we should "grow up" and get beyond scarves. Well, you could knit a long time and never run out of great scarf ideas and patterns to knit. I always have a few scarf projects going -- some with more difficult stitch patterns, often in lace or cables, and one that is an easy-to-remember-no-brainer for the times when I want to knit but don't want to concentrate.

So, in honor of the scarf (and with the hope that you'll want to cast on yet another project!) here's the quick version of one of my favorite scarves:

Twin Rib Scarf

Use a needle size that is suggested for the gauge of the yarn you choose.

Cast on 29 stitches.

Knit 2 garter ridges.

Row 1: K1, *k3, p3,* ending k3, k1 -- 29 sts.
Row 2: *K1, p1,* ending k1 -- 29 sts.

Knit to desired length. End by knitting 2 garter ridges.

NOTE: Text in red added 3/8/2010. Thank you to anonymous knitter who did the math and pointed out a most helpful text edit.

That's it! Simple knitting without complex pattern. I've knit this scarf for my Dad who likes a wool scarf as a neck warmer. For Dad's scarves, I one skein of Lamb's Pride worsted (190 yards) on US #9 needles and knit until the yarn is used up. This results in a scarf about 36 inches long and 5 inches wide. Dad's scarf is knit in charcoal gray with black stripes at each end. Handsome, isn't it!


For my sister Heidi, I used a lighter weight yarn -- a silk/wool blend -- and knit two skeins (220 yards) on US #6 needles. Her scarf is longer than Dad's and matches her Zelda Hat. Heidi likes her scarf and hat set which I knit in green, one of my favorite colors to use when I'm not sure what color to use. I let the recipient know that if the hat doesn't fit quite right, since it is green, you can wear it when you are doing "green" activities like taking out the recycling or gardening!

5 comments:

Fern said...

Thanks for the idea :) Im starting to knit a scarf for my mom and I love the twin rib scarf! Cheers, Fern

Wanda Eichler said...

Glad you can use the pattern, Fern. Let me know how it turns out! My Dad absolutely loves these scarves. Happy Knitting! Wanda

Anonymous said...

Is there supposed to be a "K1" at the end of row 2? Since the cast on is 29, and *K1, P1* multiples would be an even number?

Wanda Eichler said...

Thank you to Anonymous who pointed out the math help that I added today.

jaciqltzb4u said...

Well Ms WAnda, you taught me to strip piece my first quilt, then you taught me to hand quilt, I guess I need to come up to Pigeon so you can teach me to knit!

Happy stitching!
Jacquie in OK