Tuesday, March 16, 2010

288 Thangles and Counting!

I'm carrying around a whole bunch of uncompleted Thangles and quilt blocks. One of the designs for our next book uses 24 Thangle units in each block. There are 12 blocks, so I'm sewing 288 Thangles for this table runner. Sounds like a lot of work and, in a way, it is.

But the sewing is really the easy part. What has been tough (and this is the part that I love) has been choosing fabrics for their color and pattern. That's where the interplay of line and design start to jell.

In our studio, Danielle and I work hard at getting the colors and fabrics just so. We know that there isn't necessarily a right and a wrong. What we look for is that satisfying, eye-popping use of color and fabric that just makes us want to leap to our sewing machines and get the project underway.

What color am I using? Believe it or not, I'm sewing with twelve different cheddars. That's the orangey-old color. I call it the color of Dial soap. The background is the same in every Thangle, a pale tan and I'm using one of my favorite sizes of Thangles, the 1.25 inch. The final block will be 8 inches unfinished.

Watch for this design in our new book. Meanwhile, 244 Thangles, here I come!

No comments: