Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Quilt For Summer

It's finally summer and I brought out the Great Lakes Summer Quilt for display at our lake shore home in Michigan. I designed this quilt during the summer of 2001 and it became the signature quilt for the last Quilt Camp that we did at the Old Winsor Gallery (now Harjo's Ben Franklin) in downtown Pigeon. The Quilt Campers enjoyed customizing the central lighthouse block and learning how easy it is to do fusible applique with zigzag stitched finishes.

Now, when I get this quilt out for the summer I have a funky rule at the lake house -- I don't use blue in the public rooms of this house. No blue glassware, no blue linens, no blue quilts. BUT, this quilt is the grand exception. It has clear blues that contrast with reds and golds. With a lighthouse in the center, geraniums, a sunflower, stars, and flags this quilt feels so "summer-coastal-patriotic" to me.

My favorite block is the geranium. It uses fused applique with petals and leaves and pot and stems. The pencil sketch for this block was done in the summer of 2000. Surrounded by flowers and porch pots, I sketched this calm, summer block.

And where did the Canadian flag come from? We camped on the shore of Lake Superior at Lake Superior Provincial Park north of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario for two summers. Canada's flag reminds me of the those wonderful June days at Agawa Bay in the Grand North.
Happy Summer (at last)!
Wanda

2 comments:

Winter Wanderings said...

I remember this quilt! It's still wonderful! Love the look of Book #3 too -- and thanks for enjoying the boys' peeking toes -- I don't seem to have your email on my laptop, so forgive this lengthy note here, please.

truly,
your Houston friend, me

Wanda Eichler said...

Glad you recognized the Great Lakes Quilt, Houston friend. It was a delight to design and write this pattern.

Wanda